Sunday, August 12, 2007

An Evening Walk Fraught With Danger

My mom worries about me all of the time. But, she doesn’t know what I do half of the time so it saves her great worries. Besides, she doesn’t even need to worry at all due to the fact that Kylie has taken over as Maaike-Worry-Over-er.

For example, Kylie has me call her when I get to my destinations on long trips. Which makes sense; I consider it a simple courtesy and appreciate it when my friends do the same for me. She gets mad at me for not wearing my bike helmet and for driving in the middle of the street. Or when I talked to her on my cell phone while riding my bike, which was rather difficult to do, I might add.

She worries about me after dark.

This is where today’s story starts.

I told her that I wanted to go to the arboretum to get some leaves to press. It was about 7:30 in the middle of August. Summer. Right. It’s light for quite a long time. Anyway, she instructed me to stop playing literati, to go to the arboretum before it gets dark and to call her when I get back. She said to be careful of frat boys. I told her they wouldn’t be in the arboretum; they’d be in the bars (it was a Saturday night). I promised to be safe and not talk to strangers and tie my shoes and look both ways before I cross the street. All that stuff.

I entered the arboretum and was immediately greeted by TJ and Tennille Adams. They had been taking photos. Soon after that I saw a bunny. Then a couple holding hands. Then more bunnies. Then a family. And more bunnies. Then some blondes (that was probably the most unwelcome of my encounters). And, on the way out, more bunnies. Even a baby bunny. Cute as heck.

Leaves pressed, I returned home and when the door was safely locked behind me I gave Kylie a call. “Kylie, it was a trip fraught with danger. There were families and bunnies EVERYWHERE!”

She laughed.

I admit I love the fact that Kylie worries over me. It makes me feel loved and cared for.

I’ll just have to make sure to tell her and mom different things so they get an equal share of worry, but no one has to carry the full load.

1 comment:

Kylie said...

HA! I laughed so hard! But I do worry about you! because I love you, dear one.