Thursday, March 22, 2007

Goin' Goofy-Foot

So, I tried skateboarding for the first time in my life. Okay, that’s a lie. I’ve skateboarded before…sitting on the board and letting the slope and gravity propel me to the bottom of our neighbor's driveway. But this is the first time I’ve STOOD on a skateboard.

It was fun. And when I say it was fun…I’m also lying. It was a BLAST! I’ve been thinking about it this whole week…and definitely about how I think I've figured out that I can turn.

Last Saturday Daniel thought I should give skateboarding a try. I spent most of the time going in a straight line…but I think I can turn now. I discovered that I’m “goofy-foot”…that means although I’m right handed, I skate left-footed. (I bat left-handed, too. But I write and cut with scissors with my right. But I’m left-eyed and left-footed. Who knew?) Anyway, I had a FABULOUS time.

Skateboarders have their own lingo and I made up a word: grumblies. On this particular day it was where they’d used tar to fix the cracks in the asphalt, but I figure it works for anything that keeps me from rolling forward...like rocks or sticks or the cops.

As was bound to happen, I got stuck in the grumblies and I fell down. Just once. Kind of hurt my elbow, but I didn’t bonk my head, of which I was quite proud.

I’ve never been good at sports…always chosen last for the teams, you know how it goes….I’ve always enjoyed baseball, though. And swimming as long as no one cares if I'm tan or chubby. And now, I think I really like skateboarding. I’m hoping D will take me again soon…and this summer, I might have to get myself a board!

Thanks, D, for including me in your adventures. Thanks for not thinking I’m too much of a geek to hang out with. If only you knew the truth.

No comments: