Sunday, December 20, 2009

Symptoms of a Leveling Spirit (or Angels and Bad Guys)



Since my real life crush moved far away, I’ve been spending time with my celebrity crushes.

Misha Collins plays Castiel on Supernatural. Castiel is an arch angel. He is trying to help save the world from Satan and his demons.

Michael Emerson plays Benjamin Linus on LOST. Ben is the bad guy of the show. (Or is he? I have theories.)

How is it that I can be in love with both an angel and a bad guy? Well, as one of my favorite Walt Whitman quotes goes:

Do I contradict myself? Very well then, I contradict myself. I am vast. I contain multitudes.

There are things that the characters have in common; blue eyes for one. I’m a sucker for blue eyes. Then there’s this: They both have a certain sadness in their characters, a conflict within themselves that seems to make them so vulnerable. This is what draws me to them.

It’s fun having celebrity crushes. It can also be as sad as real ones. I find an actor that I love then decide to watch other movies that actor has been in and realize that it’s the character that I fell for, not the actor. I’d love to watch more from these actors, but I’m afraid to learn more about them in case the fantasy get shattered.

So here I sit in love with an angel and a bad guy.

No comments: